Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana use in sports  (Read 2182 times)
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« on: March 18, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »

So, this is a pretty powerful message. You have a current NFL player in Ryan Clark (who in all likelihood will be looking at vast opportunity after his playing career finishes to be an executive for the players' association) that says his teammates use marijuana consistently for medicine/pain tolerance purposes. He also appears to be very comfortable with that fact. We also have Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley go off about the matter on SportsNation and bring up some valid arguments on why marijuana is tested (Very loosely, as Marcellus states).

Max & Marcellus Debate The NFL Marijuana Policy

Let a couple things be known, I will not smoke anything in my life, no matter how legal it is or isn't. It's a personal choice I decided to make a long time ago and will choose to continue on in that direction. That doesn't mean people who smoke marijuana (tobacco smoke bothers me, a lot) are doing something wrong, in my eyes. Now, I'm not of the belief it benefits people to the extent that many others do.

One of my best friends gets high every single day. She chooses to do this to improve her mood and use it as a stress reliever. She has ventured into many other drugs throughout her life but hasn't done any others for quite some time and will likely not be doing so again in the future. That said, she clearly states that the main reason she has tried other drugs is because of the way marijuana made her feel and society made her think that marijuana is a drug and she should try some others just to see what's up with those.

Looking beyond the financial implications (people who live off dealing, potential tax money the gov't could make from sales, etc), why does it make sense for marijuana to be legal or illegal? I don't handle the thought of this subject well. I get drunk maybe 4-10 times per year, I casually have beer/other alcoholic beverages with dinner once every other week, maybe. I don't believe that when I'm drunk I am more capable or recover any better than a person who is high on marijuana alone, in fact I firmly believe I'm worse off than they are as far as being a functional human being.

Thoughts on athletes using marijuana?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:28:19 pm by Dice Dice Baby!! » Logged

RIP Madawg
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:52:47 pm »

I think it is clear that marijuana has very definite medicinal uses.  If the choice is between a person using marijuana to manage pain and heavy pain medications (Oxycontin for example), marijuana is probably the better choice. 

Perd Hapley
Starter

Respect: +951

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:10 pm »
+4

Let a couple things be known, I will not smoke anything in my life, no matter how legal it is or isn't. It's a personal choice I decided to make a long time ago and will choose to continue on in that direction.
pussy
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:08 pm »

I don't really smoke weed anymore but I have absolutely no qualms with people using it, regardless of their profession.

Soon....
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:38:18 am »

Katt Williams "It's Just A Plant!"
RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

Respect: +3275

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:45:37 pm »

smokin dope is dope