Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Livingston To Prioritize Long-Term Stability Over Less Lucrative Deals In Free A  (Read 7406 times)
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:24 am »
+1

Shaun Livingston is grateful to the Brooklyn Nets, Jason Kidd and the system that has contributed to his career season, and the veteran guard understands he could accept a more lucrative deal in free agency instead of a lesser offer from the Nets.

“(My enjoyment with Brooklyn and how I fit) definitely plays a factor. You have to weigh your situations, your options. The reason I’m in a situation where I can demand a contract is because I’m playing for this team, this coach, this system,” he said. “I realize that and I’m not over my head. But at the same time, it’s a business. You have to look at it like (the next contract) could always be your last.

“Especially me.”

Livingston, who suffered a significant knee injury in 2007 that nearly ended his career, is posting career-highs this season in minutes (25.3), points (7.9), rebounds (3.0) and steals (1.22).

Livingston has heard the worries from Nets fans about the team possibly losing him in free agency. The Nets can’t go over the cap to sign Livingston because they don’t own his Bird Rights. He might command more than the three-year, $10 million they can offer him.

“Everybody wants to be wanted. Hell, yeah it feels good with everything I’ve been through,” he said. “It’s better than hearing, ‘Get him out of here.’ It’s like an opposite situation for me.

“(Free agency) will be different. I had one year (in 2010 when he signed a two-year deal, $7 million deal with the Bobcats) where it was like, okay, a little bit (of hype), but it’s not the same as this. Not even close,” he said. “I don’t even know what to expect. My thing has been no expectations."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232521/Livingston-To-Prioritize-Long-Term-Stability-Over-Less-Lucrative-Deals-In-Free-Agency

I'm so happy for this young man after the injury he went through.
byee
Journeyman

Respect: +92

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »
+1

It is impossible for anyone not to be a fan of Livingston.

On a side note - I have a question.  I understand the Nets are limited in what they can offer him next season because the team does not have his Bird Rights.  But can the Nets do a sign-and-trade for Livingston with Pierce?  Say Livingston for Pierce with their respective new contracts and the Nets throw in a 2nd rounder?

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

Respect: +89

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:03 pm »

On a side note - I have a question.  I understand the Nets are limited in what they can offer him next season because the team does not have his Bird Rights.  But can the Nets do a sign-and-trade for Livingston with Pierce?  Say Livingston for Pierce with their respective new contracts and the Nets throw in a 2nd rounder?

You'll have to ask Mr. Larry Coon

"When you got to shoot, shoot, don't talk"-Tuco
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »

Teams over the luxury tax cannot receive any players back.  They can S&T him for a pick and/or rights, but not any players.  Plus, if they did do that, they would still have the same limits for the kind of contract he could get.

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:44 pm »

Teams over the luxury tax cannot receive any players back.  They can S&T him for a pick and/or rights, but not any players.  Plus, if they did do that, they would still have the same limits for the kind of contract he could get.

I believe you are wrong, but I'll check with Uncle Larry

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44:57 pm »

As everyone would expect, you are wrong.

But Livingston would not be allowed to get a big a contract in a S&T as I'm sure he will be seeking.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:04:35 am »

As everyone would expect, you are wrong.

Starting in 2013-14, teams more than $4 million above the tax level cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:16 am »

Correct, they can't RECEIVE a player that has been signed and traded.

Back to the drawing board, mook.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:57:14 am »

Correct, they can't RECEIVE a player that has been signed and traded.

Back to the drawing board, mook.

They cannot receive A player in a S&T TRANSACTION.  If you were correct it would say, "...cannot receive a signed and traded player."

It clearly says it in the quote I provided, teams $4 million over the luxury tax  cannot receive A player (any player) in a S&T.

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:11 am »

They cannot receive A player in a S&T TRANSACTION.  If you were correct it would say, "...cannot receive a signed and traded player."

It clearly says it in the quote I provided, teams $4 million over the luxury tax  cannot receive A player (any player) in a S&T.

I think you better read that again, sonny. More slowly this time so that you capture all the words.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:48 am »

I think you better read that again, sonny. More slowly this time so that you capture all the words.

/facepalm.  You are the one that needs to re-read.  Brooklyn cannot receive a player (any player) in that certain kind of transaction.  That is how the new CBA is, sorry.  Again, if you were right the rule would be worded differently. 

Say Cleveland was willing to trade Waiters for a S&Ted Livingston.  Brooklyn would be receieving a player in that transaction, which is illegal in the CBA.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:57 am »

I always wonder if he had gone to Duke would have have avoided that horrible injury, who knows.
8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:44:01 am »

/facepalm.  You are the one that needs to re-read.  Brooklyn cannot receive a player (any player) in that certain kind of transaction.  That is how the new CBA is, sorry.  Again, if you were right the rule would be worded differently. 

Say Cleveland was willing to trade Waiters for a S&Ted Livingston.  Brooklyn would be receieving a player in that transaction, which is illegal in the CBA.

Nope, read it again. Nets can S&T a player. They cannot take back more salary than they send out.

Lakers could have signed and traded Dwight last season.

8mcnutty8
Benchwarmer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:19 am »

Nope, read it again. Nets can S&T a player. They cannot take back more salary than they send out.

Read ALL of Larry Coon's CBA/FAQ #90

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:19 am »

A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.

Seeing as how the Nets are already going to be about $15 million over the apron next season, it is not going to happen.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: