Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Jackson Forces Reassignment Of Scalabrine As Dysfunction Grows  (Read 7351 times)
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:33 am »

Mark Jackson has forced a reassignment of Brian Scalabrine, league sources told Yahoo!

Scalabrine joined the Golden State Warriors in the offseason as an assistant coach.

Ownership and management have been strong advocates of Scalabrine and his performance on the job, but Jackson will have control of his staff for as long as he's head coach.

Scalabrine's role is unclear, but the Warriors want to retain him.

Jackson has one season remaining on his contract and the situation has become dysfunctional.

Jackson and Michael Malone would go weeks without speaking to each other last season.

Jackson has tried and failed to get involved with several head coaching openings over the past several months, including the Los Angeles Clippers and Brooklyn Nets, league sources said.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232617/Mark-Jackson-Forces-Reassignment-Of-Scalabrine-As-Dysfunction-Grows

Maybe he was just inquiring about other jobs as leverage?
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:22:58 am »
+1

Marc Jakson needs to go.  He is a good motivator, but he is just not a good Xs and Os guy.  Byron Scott may be a good option for the team.  SVG might be a good fit for the roster, as well.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:12 am »

Good point madawg, Jackson reminds me of the college football coach that is a great recriuter but is just not that great of a coach.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:16 am »
+1

I am liking the SVG idea the more I think about it (but I am kinda drunk).  I am not a huge fan of his, but I see a lot of the 2009 Magic in this Warriors team.  They have a defensive stalwart at center (Bogut is my choice for DPoy), they are at their best when they go small, and they have a forward that can handle a lot of the distributing/creating duties.  Obviously the offense woukd be different, because they do not have a Dwight, and they played inside-out off of him, but they could run a lot of PnR with Iggy/Bogut, like they did with Turk/Dwight.  Plus, SVG should have no qualms with playing Barnes at PF.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:38:23 am »

I was going to ask if you thought they may dangle Barnes this offseason?
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:19 am »
+1

I was going to ask if you thought they may dangle Barnes this offseason?

They could, but they would want an established guy at the 4.  Not sure who is available.  If they could somehow talk Minny into trading Love for Thompson, Barnes, and Lee for Love, I would be all for it, but Minny is not going to take that deal.

The fact is that GS plays amazing basketball when they go small by playing Barnes at PF.  As long as David Lee is on the roster, there really is no point in trading Barnes, because the team would already be set with their SLU.  I do not see a team willing to take on Lee's contract.

The Warriors are better off keeping Barnes, and then just playing him at PF as much as possible, whilst still giving Lee and Bogut their minutes.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:40 am »

It is hard to argue the success of the small ball lineup.
@DoCoolStuff
Undrafted

Respect: +4

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:09 pm »

Marc Jakson needs to go.  He is a good motivator, but he is just not a good Xs and Os guy.  Byron Scott may be a good option for the team.  SVG might be a good fit for the roster, as well.

Totally disagree

1. Aside from SVG, any coach they bring in will have a negligible difference on results and even SVG won't move the needle much. It's a players league and the coach's most important job is to make sure the best players get the most minutes.

2.Head coaches don't need to be X's and O's guys (that's what assistants are for). They need to be able to
1) Allot minutes to the best players (way easier said than done)
2) Inspire enough confidence/trust/buy-in that players are willing to play the "right way" even if it conflicts with personal incentives.

Marc Jackson is fine at 1 and great at 2. You don't fire a guy like that, especially when you don't have a replacement.

@docoolstuff
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:58 pm »
+1

If what you said was true, then Mike Brown would be one of the best coaches in the league.  You could not be more off base.w

Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 01:34:12 am »

Players love to play for Mike Brown.
@DoCoolStuff
Undrafted

Respect: +4

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 11:13:01 am »

If what you said was true, then Mike Brown would be one of the best coaches in the league.  You could not be more off base.w

1. Nice Straw Man. Regardless, Mike Brown is a fine head coach, as he's historically met the primary criterion (play your best players the most minutes) for being a good head coach (he's playing Waiters too much, but he's kind of been painted into a corner there). All the talk about his "system" impeding his teams from success are wildly exaggerated. If his system is the issue, and not his players, how come his former teams aren't seeing any marked improvement when he leaves?

2. Harrison Barnes is not very good. He's pretty much average (rebounding, 3pt%) or subpar (TS%, eFG%, PPS, ast) at everything. If I'm coaching them in the playoffs, I'm saying forget the spacing Barnes provides and I'm instead giving the majority of his minutes to Draymond Green. At least he can help out on defense and on the boards.

This team has a fantastic starting 5 (although I'm bearish on Klay Thompson) but major health and depth concerns. Nevertheless, in the playoffs, where teams get more rest and shorten their rotations, this team should hit above their weight (as they did last year, too).

You can call me "way off base," but if your "solution" to the Warriors playing better starts with getting rid of Mark Jackson so Harrison Barnes can get more minutes, you're not exactly laying out a blueprint for success. 

@docoolstuff
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

Respect: +817

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 03:52:23 pm »
+1

1. Nice Straw Man. Regardless, Mike Brown is a fine head coach, as he's historically met the primary criterion (play your best players the most minutes) for being a good head coach (he's playing Waiters too much, but he's kind of been painted into a corner there). All the talk about his "system" impeding his teams from success are wildly exaggerated. If his system is the issue, and not his players, how come his former teams aren't seeing any marked improvement when he leaves?

2. Harrison Barnes is not very good. He's pretty much average (rebounding, 3pt%) or subpar (TS%, eFG%, PPS, ast) at everything. If I'm coaching them in the playoffs, I'm saying forget the spacing Barnes provides and I'm instead giving the majority of his minutes to Draymond Green. At least he can help out on defense and on the boards.

This team has a fantastic starting 5 (although I'm bearish on Klay Thompson) but major health and depth concerns. Nevertheless, in the playoffs, where teams get more rest and shorten their rotations, this team should hit above their weight (as they did last year, too).

You can call me "way off base," but if your "solution" to the Warriors playing better starts with getting rid of Mark Jackson so Harrison Barnes can get more minutes, you're not exactly laying out a blueprint for success.  

When your offensive gameplan for every single game is "Give LeBron the ball and have him do whatever he pleases", you don't get to be called a good head coach.

Well, that's because after him, there was no LeBron for Cleveland. That's why.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »

Cleveland is winning now.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 12:08:02 am »
+1

Marc Jackson really, really needs to go.  As I said in the gameday thread, Lee and Bogut were out tonight, and yet Barnes did not start at PF.  Speights started, despite being horrifically bad this season.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:18:20 am »

I wonder how Steve Kerr word look in that role ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: