Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Jackson Forces Reassignment Of Scalabrine As Dysfunction Grows  (Read 7350 times)
GSW1Bulls
All-Star

Respect: +683

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
+1

The Warriors are achieving a level of success that we haven't had for twenty something years, you don't break that up for nothing. The Scalabrine stuff has been blown out of proportion imo.

Jackson, meanwhile, has been accused of not drawing plays when he actually makes more calls verbally in timeouts than most X's and O's coaches do, he gives explicit instructions on how he wants plays executed, which options to be ready to exploit and the proper angles, spacing and timing to make them work. He also out-X'd and O'd a renowned X's and O's coach in George Karl last postseason, even though it was Jackson's first playoffs and Karl's 22nd.

People consistently ignore everything that makes Jackson a high caliber coach while simultaneously hey blowing his flaws out of proportion. You can't criticise his X's and O's if his motivational skills are not equally praised. You can't criticise his coaching ability on offense if his coaching ability on defense is not given the proper respect. You can't blame him for the lack of improvements Barnes has made if you don't in turn give him credit for the growth of Steph, Klay and Draymond.

Say what you like, this team wouldn't have fifty wins (which is probably what we will end with) if we had a mediocre coach.

Pretty sure a first round exit is a foregone conclusion for the Warriors no matter what.
my prediction was wrong
“One man can be a crucial ingredient but one man cannot make a team.” - Kareem

“Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable.” - Pat Riley

GSW1Bulls
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 02:55:18 pm »

His reluctance to merge the bench and starting unit instead of just subbing out the entire starting five for the bench unit was really irritating though.

He has a lot of improvements to make, but in the two years where the front office wasn't tanking and providing him with a decimated roster, he has coached this team to the playoffs. For a guy with no prior coaching experience, two playoff seasons out of your first three isn't too shabby.

Pretty sure a first round exit is a foregone conclusion for the Warriors no matter what.
my prediction was wrong

“Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable.” - Pat Riley

madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 05:33:09 pm »

I am not saying Jackson is a bad coach, he clearly is not.  But the team should be challenging to come out of the West, by right now they will likely have a 1st round exit.  There are a lot of little things that he could be doing, but he is just not doing them.  The roster is vood enough to be where they are at with a bad coach, but they could have been the 3rd seed right now.

Even bad coaches can win a lot of games.  You are acting like 50 wins means Jackson is a good coach, but that would make VDN, Mike Brown, etc good coaches as well.

Calling a lot of plays is not good enough.  Calling the right plays and knowing when not to call plays is important, too.

Plus, who criticizes him for not developing Barnes?  That is not my concern.  My concern is him not using Barnes the right way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:38:47 pm by madawg49 » Logged

B.King
Star

Respect: +41

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 11:28:03 pm »

I am split on whether to keep Jackson or not and I think it basically depends on him.  If he thinks he is bigger than what the Warriors have put together around him, then he has to go.  Defensively, the Warriors made huge strides in the playoffs and I would hate to see it go away if Jackson can't work with his assistants. The Warriors made it a point to surround him with a solid staff to make up for his short comings.

The work he has done with Thompson and Curry has been wonderful, but I don't think they fall off much if Jackson leaves.  Not quite certain about his impact on Barnes.  The second team is now decent with Blake and that will help Harrison a ton.

GSW1Bulls
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:35 am »

the team should be challenging to come out of the West, by right now they will likely have a 1st round exit.  

You are entitled to your opinion but I respectfully disagree. This team is better than it was last year and is built for playoff basketball.

I have a feeling that quote will be going in my sig right next to Duck from last year.

I mean let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time you've underestimated this team.

since GS is one of the worst teams in he league at taking care of the ball, I will take Denver in 5.

Defensively, the Warriors made huge strides in the playoffs and I would hate to see it go away if Jackson can't work with his assistants.

The huge strides defensively are because of Jackson and the acquisition of Bogut and Dre, Jacksons defensive sets are excellent, as a coach, he's one of the top 5 in the league defensively right now. It's his ability to coach the offense that is the question mark for now.

At least, that's my opinion.

I wouldn't bother if they replaced Jackson for someone who is a clear upgrade, but there's not many of those available, I mean it's not like Red Auerbach or Pat Riley is going to walk through that door any time soon. You have to be careful not to mess with the chemistry either. This is the best the Warriors have been in a couple of decades, breaking that up now would be a mistake imo.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:51:32 am by GSW1Bulls » Logged

my prediction was wrong

madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:22 am »

You are entitled to your opinion but I respectfully disagree. This team is better than it was last year and is built for playoff basketball.

I have a feeling that quote will be going in my sig right next to Duck from last year.

I mean let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time you've underestimated this team.

I was wrong about that, fine.  I did have reasons for that prediction.  Part of that went out the door when Barnes started playing PF, and it was so effective. 

I also predicted GS to be the third seed this season.

The Warriors will be facing the Clippers.  I feel like Denver had a flawed system last season that relied too heavily on turnovers.  The Clippers have a better system.  It is possible for GS to win the series, but I do not like their chances.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 02:21:43 am »

The Warriors are achieving a level of success that we haven't had for twenty something years, you don't break that up for nothing. The Scalabrine stuff has been blown out of proportion imo.

Jackson, meanwhile, has been accused of not drawing plays when he actually makes more calls verbally in timeouts than most X's and O's coaches do, he gives explicit instructions on how he wants plays executed, which options to be ready to exploit and the proper angles, spacing and timing to make them work. He also out-X'd and O'd a renowned X's and O's coach in George Karl last postseason, even though it was Jackson's first playoffs and Karl's 22nd.

People consistently ignore everything that makes Jackson a high caliber coach while simultaneously hey blowing his flaws out of proportion. You can't criticise his X's and O's if his motivational skills are not equally praised. You can't criticise his coaching ability on offense if his coaching ability on defense is not given the proper respect. You can't blame him for the lack of improvements Barnes has made if you don't in turn give him credit for the growth of Steph, Klay and Draymond.

Say what you like, this team wouldn't have fifty wins (which is probably what we will end with) if we had a mediocre coach.

Holy cow, where have you been man?
GSW1Bulls
All-Star

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 05:05:08 am »
+1

Holy cow, where have you been man?

Chilling. lol.

Real life took over.

my prediction was wrong

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 12:10:26 am »

Chilling. lol.

Real life took over.

Glad to have you back.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: