Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OKCs first round picks  (Read 56315 times)
knightofdreamz
Star

Respect: +32

« on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:18 pm »
+1

I proposed this idea on another board and it was a mixed reception so i figured i would see what some other people think.

So obviously we are going to be drafting two guards with our two first round picks. A point and a shooter, Lamb will probably be off the team by this off-season.

Anywho....
Nick Wiggin's is not even projected to be drafted.

I propose the idea that we use our second first on him.

6'6 190. 4 years in college w/a successful career. Good percentages an even better defender. Long wing span, great first step, has that same double jump that Andrew has, and he has an extremely high IQ. We cant forget that this guys father was an NBA player, his mother a track and field player and after the NBA his father became his coach.
I think it would be worth the risk. I think the worst case for this guy is he would become another Thabo type but with a higher shooting IQ.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:19:54 am »

Thunder make smart picks, so if he fits the mold then they will pull the trigger.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:36:04 am »

1) if Nick Wiggins is not projected to be drafted, why use a 1st on him?  Use a 2nd round pick on him.

2) Why would Lamb not be on the team next season?  He is still cheap, and he made very definite strides this season.

3) Why is it a given that the Thunder will use both 1sts on guards?  They might, but I do not think it is a given.

knightofdreamz
Star

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »

1) if Nick Wiggins is not projected to be drafted, why use a 1st on him?  Use a 2nd round pick on him.

We dont have a second.
Ive considered the idea of buying one, but we would still draft two guards with our firsts (granted we do not trade them) and the chances of drafting 3, with one being a 2nd, that 2nd probably wouldnt get a fair chance at the line up.

2) Why would Lamb not be on the team next season?  He is still cheap, and he made very definite strides this season.

Because he is too inconsistent, he has not really improved over the years.
A hint that he will be gone is what we saw when Westbrook, Thabo and Perkins were out. This kid should have been getting a lot minutes, instead we saw Butler and Fisher getting those minutes. Not to mention Roberson.

3) Why is it a given that the Thunder will use both 1sts on guards?  They might, but I do not think it is a given.

.... Really?
Fisher is gone.
Thabo might be gone.
Butler could be gone.
We've spent the past two or three drafts, drafting 3-5.  Adams, PJ3, Roberson, etc.
Our 3-5 is set, its secure for now. We could lose a 4 or 5 and be fine.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:21:40 pm »

We dont have a second.
Ive considered the idea of buying one, but we would still draft two guards with our firsts (granted we do not trade them) and the chances of drafting 3, with one being a 2nd, that 2nd probably wouldnt get a fair chance at the line up.

Then just sign him as an undrafted free agent.  He might be taken, but better than using a 1st on him.

Because he is too inconsistent, he has not really improved over the years.
A hint that he will be gone is what we saw when Westbrook, Thabo and Perkins were out. This kid should have been getting a lot minutes, instead we saw Butler and Fisher getting those minutes. Not to mention Roberson.

He still got over 1500 minutes this season.  Why boot him when he only makes $2.2 million next season?  Like you say, Fisher, Butler, and Sefolosha are possibly all gone.  Lamb went from playing 70 minutes to 1500 minutes.

.... Really?
Fisher is gone.
Thabo might be gone.
Butler could be gone.
We've spent the past two or three drafts, drafting 3-5.  Adams, PJ3, Roberson, etc.
Our 3-5 is set, its secure for now. We could lose a 4 or 5 and be fine.

If there is a big on the board that OKC wants and no guard, they will take the big.

knightofdreamz
Star

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:32 pm »

Then just sign him as an undrafted free agent.  He might be taken, but better than using a 1st on him.

Yah. There are numerous ways we can go about getting him. I simply don't think its that big of a risk using a late first on him.

He still got over 1500 minutes this season.  Why boot him when he only makes $2.2 million next season?  Like you say, Fisher, Butler, and Sefolosha are possibly all gone.  Lamb went from playing 70 minutes to 1500 minutes.

I think we will end up trading him with the picks to get a better SG in.
I really think by the end of the off-season OKC will have Affalo. And i think we will get him by giving up Lamb, the two firsts and the exemptions owed.

Doing so would also allow us to resign Thabo and Butler. Hopefully Butler will want to stay.
If we cant get Thabo to stay, then i think we need to go after Tony Allen.

Anyway, Lamb will be gone by the beginning of next season. Or, i guess it could happen the season after and we simply do not resign him. But again, its not about his total minutes, its about what we saw when we had three guys injured and ideally we wanted to rest our two oldest guys. But instead, Lamb was so inconsistent and unimproved with his handling and decision making, he remained a low minute 2nd/3rd string.
Ive gone from loving this guy when he came out of Uconn, to now not seeing him having a long term career in the NBA. He is just FAR too inconsistent and has not seemed to learn anything. The only player ive seen as inconsistent is JR Smith, but Lamb does not have his offensive capabilities.

If there is a big on the board that OKC wants and no guard, they will take the big.

This draft is so deep there is no way there wont be a guard on the board that they dont like.
But even so, there's just no way they draft a big as they are far too deep as it is.
Ibaka, Collison, Durant, PJ all play the 4 regularly.
Ibaka, Collison, Perkins, Thabeet, Adams all play tbe 5 regularly.
If you want to talk about wasting a pick, draft a big.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:08 pm »

I would like to see them take a chance on Isaiah Austin.
podirk
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:23:09 pm »

Thunders obvious needs are at the guard positions this year....and they will not be filled through the draft...

Thunder will have Nicka and Perk expiring next year...these will be filled through the draft. One already is in Adams. Ibaka and KD take up plenty of minutes at the 4 so not much is there to take. PJ has a chance and a Capela, Krispy, Payne type of player has a chance.

Thunder will fill the guard rotation through the players already on the team and FA pickups.

They still may draft a player...but no rookie guard is gonna get serious time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: