Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LAKERS OFF-SEASON: RIGHT NOW  (Read 24950 times)
joshfarc
MVP

aka ThreadKILLA'

Respect: +133

« on: June 26, 2014, 03:46:06 pm »

THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS: PURPLE AND GOLD PRIDE TALKING HERE ONLY PLEASE!

I've been thinking too much and decided to just put my random thoughts here, feel free to join and validate or prove me wrong in any of my ideas.  But this Laker team needs some help.  Not just a 85% Kobe is gonna do it either.

Once you break down the Lakers Lebron OR Melo seems like a good option (Kobe played off them in the Olympics and FIBA and focused more on Defense and catch n shoot), as people do sometimes underrate him or overstate Melo's defensive inability.  He's shown in World Games and Olympics that he can defend, rebound, pass, play off the ball, etc.  In the right situation he can be even better, like when Billups had him under control in his wing in Denver for 1 playoffs and season...  But Melo and Lebron get a look....

Then again, I remember how well Kobe and Melo got along starting in the 2008 Olympics, with Melo at PF and Lebron at SF, Kobe at SG, Kidd started at PG limited time minutes though and Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh got the Center duties and each started some games. There were games in pool play Kobe was able to just play D and all the great players on Team USA were able to sorta realize the way to play basketball changes a little when you have better pieces in your main core.  The whole team is still what matters, but while that team struggled in the final against Spain (bad reffing), they destroyed Spain and all the other great teams in Poll play by an average of like 40 points or 50 points; sad thing is it's 20 minute halve's, only 40 minute games, not 48 like the NBA.

But when you put great players together that have chemistry they sacrifice their own stats or whatever for the better of the team.  Kobe isn't going to do that with Nick Young, not one bit.  If Kobe had a Melo or Lebron you can tell he's at this point in his life where he is just ready to play 2 more seasons basically, after getting to really fully heal last season.  Depending on our coach and roster that we draft and sign (team is so scarce right now):

LAKERS ROSTER:

SG/SF Kobe Bryant ($31 million)
C/PF Robert Sacre ($875k)
PF/SF Ryan Kelly (1 mil or so)
PG Kendall Marshall (team option at $875k) - Am I the only Laker fan that thinks Marshal is worthless now              
    with D'Antoni gone and all these catch and shoot free agents.
PG Steve Nash (or are they trading him since it's not all guaranteed and/or can be changed to 1/3 the cap hit for 3 years)
SG/SF Nick Young (Player Option and OPTED OUT of 1 million what a surprise....)

Lakers FREE AGENTS Ready to CASH OUT in UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY

PAU GASOL WE PRAY TO YOU TO RE-SIGN CHEAP OR SIGN AND TRADE SO WE GET SOMETHING! Because Dwight Howard left clashing with D'Antoni and/or Kobe, he's gone.... but Pau even though you were right in essence, having to play D'Antoni ball and jack up quick 18 footers and run non-stop sort of can hurt your fundamentals, but you managed to have a much improved season as well, 16 points and 10 rebounds a night with 3 assists and 1.5 blocks.  He really stepped up and is likely expecting about 10-12 million a year.  Either we try to get him for less or maybe we can do a sign and trade... all depending on who we draft and sign with the nice cap room we have.

SG - Nick Young ($1.0 million last year)
   -Opted out of another 1.0 mil year after a career season statistically
   -17.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 0.8 steals, 39%FG3pt 28.3 minutes
*Career Season in points, made 3pt FG's, and a 16.0 PER (above 15.0 average). Nick Youngs in his prime and won't really get any better than this plus a little maybe... some team in desperate need of offense though could really value him.  They could play him 20 minutes a game off the bench and get 14 points a night.  Defensively and passing is a different story.....  and he loves LA.

SG Jodie Meeks    (1.5 million last year)
    -His second year for the Lakers after showing IQ and skills for Philly but doubled his output with LA
    -15.7 points, 2.6 rebounds, 1.4 steal, 41%FG3PT, 186 threes made, 77 games 31.2 minutes
    -14.7 PER this Year (good rotation player) and great shooter.
*Career Season result of Kobe out and Mike D'Antoni Coaching (same with Nick Young's green light on Offense, but it's just inflated numbers slightly. Meeks has earned himself a great rotation spot on a top contender type team or a bigger role possibly role starter or 6th man type for another team.  He's coming off 1.5 million last year to get offers from multiple teams for multi-year 3+million each year type of deals.

C/PF Jordan Hill    (3.5 million last year)

-Been a promising young big since D'Antoni drafted him; Career year in terms of exposure
   -19.7 PER this last season, as PER favors bigs and rebounding and high FG%, things that Hill masters
   -Hil made 3.5 million last year posting 17pts/13reb and 1.5 block 55%FG...
        *3rd in Offensive Rebound Rate and 9th in All Rebounds Rate in the NBA Last Year; I smell $$$

(C/PF)Chris Kaman the surprise of the Laker season when he went from not playing a second to starting and putting up 20+points and rebounding and blocking shots, etc.  We all knew Kaman has this skill, but D'Antoni was trying some weird stuff to begin the season. Maybe he wants to stay in LA, doubt it, or he goes to backup for the Clippers, as he's easily one of the best backup Centers in the NBA.  He might take a small financial hit, but 7 foot centers that can shoot and pass and defend decent are hard to come by. Lakers show no interest.

Wes Johnson did have the best year of his career! I know the inconsistency was annoying, but I don't see why he can't improve on that over the summer with a more mature team and roster and coach/system next season. He also is an athletic MARVEL that is a specimen playing SF or stretch PF, sometimes SG (the problem was Minnesota played him as a SG for 1.5 seasons after drafting him and then Phoenix did the same). D'Antoni had him start at SF a lot because of his great on ball defense on the perimeter we saw flashes of, he was also a great shooter depending on the game, and wow can he finish at the rim... or above it.  He's 24.... and supposedly has the least stock of all the Laker players.  I bet Bazemore and Xavier (SG/PG's) both have more value, even though they're very similar SG's that attack the hoop a lot but shoot around 60% from the FT line.  Even Marshon Brooks (SG) showed flashes of offensive brilliance along with the plethora of other guards on this team.  Bazemore averaged 13/3/3 here playing quite well and Xavier averaged 10+/3/3/1stl.... both in the 20 minute range but can't hit FT's which is a make or break for their games. Brooks averaged 6-7 points but has always been explosive, he's just not seen many minutes since his rookie year of 10+ points.  

The problem is in a decent Free Agency with the obvious top name tier guys like Melo, Lebron, Lowry, Lance Stephenson (RFA), Eric Bledsoe (RFA), and so many unique next level guys that can help teams like Darren Collison (PG best year so far), Evan Turner, Danny Granger, Gordon Hayward (RFA), Mo Williams (opt out), and so many other good players to nice young players to great draft picks. Nick Young or Meeks or Hill, Pau Gasol has all the sudden become extremely important to us.... thanks Dwight Howard for pussin' out of a big franchise and city to lose with Harden.  I hope the NBA TV Fake Draft they did last night is real and Embid slips down to us Lakers, haha, and Boston just says no to him.....

*(PG)Jordan Farmar - Has to also get the D'Antoni effect and put up 10.1 points, 4.9 assists, 0.9 steals, in just 22 minutes a game.  Instant offense off the bench, great backup PG for any team to pickup.  I know he's UCLA and a HS Baller from out here, maybe the Lakers just give him $2-3mil a year home team discount.

*(SF/PF) Wes Johnson - Grown to 6'8'' now he's gone from Shooting Guard to combo Forward. Now that D'Antoni is gone I really think Wes will mature with Kobe healthy and coach TBD as well.  He was annoying to see get hot and cold, but D'Antoni provided no structure, thus Nick Young took 17 shots in 28 minutes. That's a 6th man coming in to score.  While you take Wes; that glue forward that hits 3's, plays good on ball D, long arms, athletic and quick.  Last season he was very up and down, either 15+points or 5 or less points it seems. But looking at the numbers you can see the potential of his all around skill and stat stuffing (Wes played 28 minutes per game too in 79 games).  He shoots his FT's right at 80%, but taking 1.6 a game in 28 minutes won't get it done. 3-4 FTA's sounds more like it.

- 9.1ppg, 4.6rpg, 1.8apg, 1.0spg, 1.1bpg 43%FG and a streaky 36%/37% 3pt shooter
                          *Needs to learn to get to the Free Throw line more.

If we re-sign him for 4-5 million over 3 years (1.6 mil a year what can you lose), he'd see such a difference with Kobe on the court at SG, possibly Nash or Marshall at PG and  (or a Free Agent or Draft Pick anywhere here...)

Lakers need to be smart about their future and next summers free agency as well as having a solid or decent or tanking team again this year (Kobe? Free Agents? Draft Pick?)

LAKERS LOSE THEIR SCORING LEADER AND 6TH MAN OFFENSIVE STUD FROM LAST SEASON in YOUNG, A GREAT ROLE PLAYER WHO CAN START OR PLAY HIS ROLE EVERY GAME AND STRETCH THE FLOOR, AND REALLY PLAY IN MEEKS, AND POTENTIAL GREAT 6TH MAN IN FUTURE YEARS. JORDAN HILL THE OTHER KENNETH FARIED WHEN GIVEN MINUTES IS A GREAT BACKUP C/PF LET ALONE COULD START.

JORDANS.... JORDAN FARMAR IS COMING OFF A CAREER YEAR AND COULD START FOR THE PACERS (haha maybe not), BUT MANY TEAMS WOULD LIKE HIM AS THEIR BACKUP. EVEN KENT BAZEMORE, XAVIER HENRY, AND MARSHON BROOKS ARE ALL YOUNGIN'S THAT HAD CAREER NUMBERS WITH THE LAKERS AND ARE FREE AGENTS AND YOUNG WITH POTENTIAL! HE'S GONE AS WELL AS CHRIS KAMAN, WHO DISLIKED HIS TIME HERE WE FORGET HE'S BEEN AN ALL-STAR CENTER. PAU GASOL IS IN THE CLOUD......

SO......  FELLOW LAKER FANS THAT AREN'T HOPPING TO THE CLIPPERS........ WHAT DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD DO?

LAKERS BRASS HIRE A COACH AS SOON AS YOU FIND OUT WHAT PLAYER YOU ARE DRAFTING OR TRADING THE PICK FOR!  Hell, let Byron Scott give it a go.... anyone that would teach defense and offense....

Lakers have a great chance at the slipping Embid, though a small chance, but I would almost rather see Noah Von Leh on the team, as well as Julius Randle or Dante Exum, even Marcus Smart. We could possibly trade down to like pick 10 and get Smart and something else.... or we could say... sign and trade Nick Young or Jordan Hill and swap picks with one of the top 5 picks...

LAKER 2014-2015 DEPTH CHART:
PG: Steve Nash / *Kendall Marshall (is his time over now with no D'Antoni?)
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ryan Kelly
PF: *Pau Gasol (Total Free Agent, I just know he loves LA and I think want to retire here)
 C: Robert Sacre

FREE AGENTS TO TARGET:

LEBRON JAMES & CARMELO ANTHONY must be explored... restricted like Chandler Parsons should be explored, same with Gordon Hayward.  The options are possible and Kobe only has 1-2 years left, it would be nice to have a go to scorer to replace him.  Re-Sign Jordan Farmar for like 2 mil a year.... he's Laker true.  Maybe we can get Nick Young on a 4 year/16 million deal or something, and Meeks we offer similar.  We sign Wes Johnson for near 3 years 5 million would probably sign, cheap and give him a chance again, or let him be a backup and learn from a real SF.  

We are able to really go after and talk to the other good FREE AGENTS:

SF/SG/PF - Trevor Ariza (14.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.7 stls) - We messed up sorta in letting him go to sign Ron Artest Peace after winning a title with Ariza at small forward, but times passed and Ariza just had the best year of his career and is the perfect 3 and D small forward. I'm not sure how Kobe is with him and Ariza does seem happy in Washington, but it's worth pursuing.

(Most players we're used to seeing always get 10+mil a year doesn't exactly happen anymore)

SF/PF/SG - Luol Deng - He needs a relocation restart. Great all around player, 29 years old, from Bulls to Cavs to Free Agency... I could see him go to the Lakers for a decent price (4 years at 32 million; 4th year Team Option) type of deal.  He is still a legit defendyer, a solid shooter and slasher, plays smart off the ball and knows how to play both ends.  He needs a new scenery and winning confidence back.

*PG/SG Kyle Lowry - I'm skeptical on this one, thus the star thing... Lowry looked great this year, but he was in a career season and was in the best shape of his life.... he has a tendency to come into camp like a Baron Davis Clipper.  If he'll come here for a decent price, like 7-8 mil a year max, 4 years with a team option on year 3 and player on 4?  To Make sure he doesn't get fat......  

AS A RESULT

Isaiah Thomas PG - Kings don't seem like they are going to match much for him, but I could be wrong.  He's not a traditional PG at all, but say we lose Nick Young to a huge contract, I think Isiah is a perfect 6th man in the lurking. He could easily come in for 26 minutes a night off the bench and score 15+ points. His defense is suspect too......

DARREN COLLISON (PG) UCLA!  I think Collison is still going slightly underrated.  Yes so far it seems he plas better with Chris Paul on his team, but maybe he just needs someone to look up to and talk to, etc. Kobe or Nash or Gasol could be this. I like Collison as a starter for the Lakers, as he's quick, defends pretty aggressively (too much so sometimes), but he fits perfect next to Kobe.  He's a great catch and shooter out to the 3pt range, but also is great at attacking the rim, and his passing has improved quite a bit.

MARCIN GORTAT - Center looks like he's going back to Washington, but hey maybe he'll take a paycut to come play with Pau or something.

Paul Pierce - Yes, he is old.  I bet he goes back to Celtics, but I'd love to see him rock a Laker jersey and team up with Kobe, I've always loved them together on video games....

LANCE STEPHENSON (I WANT FEEDBACK LAKER FANS, PLEASE?)

I know Lance had a mediocre/average "PER" last season.  But he was on a stacked team where each position is an option and you have the designated Paul George 22-25 points per night player as well as PF David West and his 17 points or so.  Lance lead the NBA in trip-dubs last season (because Rondo was out most the year and Lebron was coasting or someting), but he still has so much upside for a 21 year old. Do you think putting him under Kobe's wing would be smart or bad?  I know the "attitude" Lance has can seem annoying, but that's the confidence and swagger you gotta have to be the best.

Pacers can afford to pay him like 8 mil a year max, as a Restricted Free Agent.  That's why they traded Granger for Turner, another young SG coming off his rookie contract.  I think the Lakers should really consider what exactly is Stephenson like, his bball IQ, his persona, his actual skill.....

DRAFT PICKS:  I WANT NOAH VON LEH!!!!! I think he;s the next Chris Bosh but with more strength, handles and post moves, and as good or better of a shot.  Embid is confusing but would be great if he slipped to us.... Randle would be great too.  Exxum or Marcus Smart are great... or we trade down to like pick 13 because we've nailed the right pick with great scouts and we turn that into Love coming to the Lakers for Pau Gasol, the Lakers 1st Round Pick 7, and sign-n-trade Jodie Meeks (tWolves need serious 3pt shooting help) I would even consider taking on Kevin Martin, I can't believe the Warriors wouldn't take that trade because Kevin Martins 7.2 million a year or whatever.  I know his D sucks and he's one dimensional, but isn't he just a better version of Nick Young.......

2nd Rounders/Sleepers:  JORDAN ADAMS somehow?  I'd love to see UCLA's Lavine or Adams or the 6'8'' tall skinny PG...  the next Shaun Livingston but taller... (he's a FA, hah).

FREE AGENTS FOR THIS 2014 SUMMER:

PG'S:  - Eric Bledsoe - Kyle Lowry - Isaiah Thomas - Darren Collison -  Devin Harris - Grevieus Vasqez - Nate     Robinson - Mario Chalmers - Aaron Brooks - Shaun Livingston - Jordan Farmar - Ramon Sessions

SG's:  -Lance Stephenson(R), Avery Bradley(R), Rodney Stuckey, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Jodie Meeks, Young

SF's:   -Lebron, Melo, Luol Deng, Gordon Hayward (R) Evan Turner, Pierce, Marion, Granger, Wes Johnson

PF's:   -Greg Monroe(R), Zach Randolph, Michael Beasley,  Pattrick Patterson, Ed Davis, Pau N Hill

-C's:   -Chris Bosh (PF/C), Marcin Gortat, Spencer Hawes, Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden, Andray Blatche

TRADES:  Remember we can always do sign and trades, trade our pick up or down with players, sign and trades, Nash's expiring 9 million is becoming something a team would take on for sure.... as well as trades for teams not under the cap that want to get Nick Young or other free agents on our team we could do a lot if we SIGN AND TRADE a lot of pieces... even if PAU demands Memphis or something but says he'll do sign and trade we can get Ed Davis and Pondexter or Courtney Lee out of them, maybe their late 1st round pick.....

I Hope hte Lakers are active

I GIVE YOU MAD PROPS IF YOU READ ALL THIS.... aha
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:58:53 pm by joshfarc » Logged

joshfarc
MVP

aka ThreadKILLA'

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »

Well did I just have a wet dream or did we land JULIUS RANDLE.... SERIOUSLY?  He's a perfect fit we needed an athletic PF that can do all the stuff he does...

PG: Steve Nash / Kendall Marshall
SF: Wes Johnson
PF: Julius Randle / Ryan Kelly
C: Pau Gasol / Robert Sacre

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »

Well did I just have a wet dream or did we land JULIUS RANDLE.... SERIOUSLY?  He's a perfect fit we needed an athletic PF that can do all the stuff he does...

PG: Steve Nash / Kendall Marshall
SF: Wes Johnson
PF: Julius Randle / Ryan Kelly
C: Pau Gasol / Robert Sacre

wanted Randle all along ( or Gordon), but no thank you to THAT roster.  Pau Gasol needs to be done in purple and gold and Nash will almost certainly be stretched.  if Kobe and our front office has their way they'll be clearing Nash out to make room for Melo and a PG signing at the least..maybe a Darren Collison or Lowry

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
joshfarc
MVP

aka ThreadKILLA'

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 09:45:01 pm »

wanted Randle all along ( or Gordon), but no thank you to THAT roster.  Pau Gasol needs to be done in purple and gold and Nash will almost certainly be stretched.  if Kobe and our front office has their way they'll be clearing Nash out to make room for Melo and a PG signing at the least..maybe a Darren Collison or Lowry

Well I completely agree.  I do think we end up keeping Farmar for cheap and Meeks for like 3 mil a year because he got his chance here, even if it's a 1-2-3 year deal.  But ultimately something like this is what I envision... I just didn't want to start getting to far ahead of everything.... haven't even heard if Nash is gonna play, retire, trade his stupid contract or just waive him and split his contract over 3 years.... but then I still hate Kendall Marshall (only worked cuz of D'Antoni).

I am all about Collison too, that's of course if we can't pry away Bledsoe from the Suns, haha.

PG: Darryn Collison OR Isaiah Thomas OR Stevie Nash (start but play 20 mpg)
SF: Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza or Chandler Parsons (Melo or Lebron sounds good too)
PF: Julius Randle
C :  Anderson Verejao or Marcin Gortat or Spencer Hawes (Hawes for cheap)                                       
BENCH UNIT:  Pau Gasol (PF/C), Jodie Meeks (SG/SF), Jordan Farmar (PG), appear like they will sacrifice some money to stay in LA, also Ryan Kelly (PF/SF), Robert Sacre (C), Kendall Marshall on the roster. Wesley Johnson (SF/PF) I'd give another minimum or so, and same with Bazemore or Xavier or Brooks or a combo.  If Bazemore or Xavier ever learn to shoot over 75%FT (both around 63%) they could become much more effective SG's that can play SF and even some PG.

Pau could sign relatively cheap as a perfect 3rd big that can play both PF and C well.  Kaman is gone most likely, he was never happy here. Jordan Hill posted a 19.7 PER last year and a PER 36 stats of 17 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks, good FG%, hustler, he's like a Faried type (really a PF too) but someone is going to offer him a 24 million / 4 year contract if not more seeing how Hickson made 7 mil a year after posting 10ppg and 10rpg fand 1 block for the Blazers playing out of position at Center.

ANDREW BYNUM! HAH.  Watch him come back to the Lakers in perfect form and health, 18ppg, 12rpg, 3apg, 2.5bpg, 60%FG STUD!

I do think if we had Collison at PG, a solid two way player and perfect complement at PG to Kobe at SG (Collison great at catch n shoot playing off the ball hits 3's etc, savvy defender), and blazing fast like Randle.  And NASH....   Robert Sacre is the only Center on our roster right now and he's not a starter.

It seems like now we really need to sign a good 3 and D type of Small Forward (Ariza, Deng) or Lebron... Melo.....

Maybe we can sign and trade Pau for a Center, or Nick Young even.  Offensively how devestating would a Nash/Kobe/Melo or Deng or Ariza/Randle/Pau.

Pau did put up 16 points, 10 boards, 3 assists, 1.5 blocks last year, in like 30 minutes a game too (D'Antoni stuff).  I don't think Pau is as close to done as so many think.  Trying to play him in a D'Antoni system though would make him seem old.  Now that this team will likely play a little slower, run some offense, play some defense, they have a chance, especially if you have perimeter Defense like Deng or Ariza (or Lebron) and Kobe and Collison.  Randle is athletic, not sure about shot-blocking his first year.

I bet we could sign Spencer Hawes for like 5 mil a year 3 years 15 mil; start him at Center but have him know he's only going to play 25 minutes a night give or take, use his fouls and be more aggressive, and find the right young big free agent OR keeping Pau and signing someone not Hawes (a shot blocker at the least.... a Brandan Wright or Jermaine O'Neal). Young or old.  Kobe could always play SF these days too as he is 6'7'' and the league plays so small, we could go after Lance Stephenson or something.

KOBE24
Benchwarmer

Lakers 2010 Champions

Respect: +4

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:43 pm »

After watching the draft today, it was a great pick by the Lakers for Randle. He was the best guy still out there. Here's what we have now

PG. Nash/Marshall
SG. Kobe
SF. N/A
PF. Randle
C. N/A

Bench
Ryan Kelly, Sacre

Point Guard
Even though Collison and Isaiah Thomas are both UFA, I always feel they are too small of a PG compare to other PG out there (Rose, Tony P, CP3). If you are 5 ft 8, you have GOT to play like you are 6 ft and have the skills of a true PG or else you will get murdered. That being said, Mo Will might be a possibility? Def could sign him since he made 2.5 mill last year.

Shooting Forward
It HAS to be Ariza, the only guy that stood out in the free agent. Can definitely shoot the ball like he did when he was with lakers, also grab reb. Lakers MUST sign him no matter what...plus its kobe's agent too...so make magic happen!

Center
3 guys that stood out (Gortat, Hawes, Monroe). Best case scenario is Gortat, but I have a feeling he will stay in Washington.

BENCH
Definitely sign Nick Young, Bazemore back. I think we will also bring back Vujacic for small $. I also want Patty Mills for what he did in the finals.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:10:16 am »

Randle was a good start but if we don't get a starting point guard we're still gonna be in deep trouble. I'd throw something like a 3 or 4 yr/24ish mil deal at Thomas to see if we can get some stability there. Then i'm with Kobe24 that we should be going after Ariza pretty aggresively. He fits a need and he won't cost us our cap flexibility. Now if we can lure Anthony somehow i'd be ok with that too(Lebron is pretty out of the question). As far as centers go i'd be ok with bringing back Gasol as long as its at a reasonable price. He can still be effective as long as we aren't counting on him to get us over any humps.

Still kind of upset the Lakers used their purchased 2nd round pick to get a combo guard with questionable scoring. We could've got Russ Smith or even Pierre Jackson as a fallback at point guard. Especially if we end up showing Nash the door.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:17:11 am by t-mac357 » Logged

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:00 am »

look, man..1st thing you've gotta accept is that the LAL front office is all in on LeBron and Melo right now.  so what that means is presenting a roster that those two think is worth joining.  Lakers have so many young guys that are gonna be free agents that they had to buy a draft pick last night and add to the roster.  now, count me as one who doesn't think Clarkson will make the team in the end..Lakers are interested in bringing Marshall, Bazemore, and probably even Brooks back.  there's also Meeks..they have his early Bird rights and can go over the cap to keep him around at a decent figure.  so Clarkson is a long shot, but he has " a shot " and it was worth it to buy the dude and add to the roster for the short term.

as for the center position, LAL has Jordan Hill's Bird rights as well.  in this scenario ( and many others), i'd expect to see Hill back on something like a 2 or 3 year deal with a slight raise to 4M annually.  Hill and Meeks are basically guarantees that the front office can make to LeBron and Melo as far as having young/competitive role players with specific talents that they'd surround them with starting out.  but even if LeBron and Melo don't hook up with LAL, Hill and Meeks are still likely to stick around because again, LAL has their Bird rights.  so basically..best case scenario, and before the front office gets into the race for a bunch of PGs to spend on, they'll be spending the most time piecing together roster scenarios for their supposed Melo/LeBron meetings.  to which i feel they'd be able to put together a pretty good roster IF LeBron and Melo took about 15M a piece in cap space to start out..accepting that figure would mean LAL could keep Randle ( which is what LeBron and Melo should want because obviously Randle is a talent that could help them win).  so anyway they could do these things to build around Melo/LeBron/Kobe;

1st, use the stretch provision on Nash and clear that extra 6+ million in space for LeBron/Melo
re-sign R.Kelly
re-sign Bazemore
re-sign Marshall
re-sign W.Johnson
re-sign Jordan Hill
re-sign Meeks
sign a scrappy Toney Douglas to a minimum deal to help defend PGs
sign a Ray Allen, who just basically wants to keep playing with LeBron
sign a Birdman Birdman Andersen to back up Jordan Hill @ center
and then obviously Julius Randle is in place as the first big off the bench

just right there you have a much younger squad than what Miami's been playing with + obviously Melo>Bosh and Kobe is probably still better than Wade's corpse because Kobe's always been more skilled than Wade and thus he's aged better.  but you have a lot of young guys with specific roles/talents there.  the real trick, imo, would be getting LeBron and Melo to think they could win in the west with that cast immediately.  to which i don't think they'd win it all in the 1st year, but after a year of getting the chemistry right i think they'd truly be one of the favorites/contenders............and then Kobe's deal comes off the books and Durant is a free agent. <---that particular fact has to be a part of LAL's pitch to LeBron and Melo.  the opportunity to eventually infuse a roster that has LeBron/Melo on it, with a much younger Durant, has to be appealing..more appealing than going back to a declining Wade who could get a 4yr extension from Miami (Lol).  so anyway, they'd basically look like this;

J.Hill/Birdman/Sacre ( basically 3 rugged/energy bigs who defend and rebound)
Melo/Randle/Kelly ( a skilled group of 4 men)
Kobe/R.Allen/Johnson ( a couple pressure release/all-time clutch performers + an athletic/lengthy defender)
Meeks/Bazemore ( young/athletic wing defenders and good shooters)
LeBron/Douglas/Marshall ( LeBron doin his Magic impersonation, Douglas for defense, Marshall for offense)

now, if you wanna get into " next best scenarios " and the front office's back up plans, we're probably starting with the PG position..Bledsoe, Lowry, Collison, Thomas, etc.  but all of the above is likely getting the majority of their attention right now..and this is a " Lakers off-season: RIGHT NOW " thread..

Fair enough.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 03:07:31 pm »

I have a better chance hitting the lotto and I don't even play. If we don't sign a point guard first our ability to contend in the west doesn't even exist. Even with Kobe, Lebron, and Melo. And these guys aren't going to seriously consider playing for the Lakers if we can't take care of that first. I'm all for resigning Meeks, Hill, Marshall, and Kelly. The others I have my reservations about.

We also can't afford to strike out on other valuable pieces to get a longshot signing. We have to improve the team any way we can. Which is why i'm not waiting out the decisions of Lebron and Melo while passing on good players who will play at decent contracts. Mitch doesn't have to go crazy, but if we get a bargain on a really good player we have to take it.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:42:47 am »

I have a better chance hitting the lotto and I don't even play. If we don't sign a point guard first our ability to contend in the west doesn't even exist. Even with Kobe, Lebron, and Melo. And these guys aren't going to seriously consider playing for the Lakers if we can't take care of that first. I'm all for resigning Meeks, Hill, Marshall, and Kelly. The others I have my reservations about.

We also can't afford to strike out on other valuable pieces to get a longshot signing. We have to improve the team any way we can. Which is why i'm not waiting out the decisions of Lebron and Melo while passing on good players who will play at decent contracts. Mitch doesn't have to go crazy, but if we get a bargain on a really good player we have to take it.

If Lebron signs with the Lakers, it does not matter who the PG is.  Meeks could play PG.  Lebron basically plays the team's PG role, anyway. 

I do not believe Lebron will sign with the Lakers, but it is not because of the PG position, except for in a broad sense that the Lakers have almost zero talent anywhere, and more than a third of the cap taken up by Kobe.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 04:12:00 am »

I believe either way the Lakers will need a point guard. Not only to match up with opposing teams but to have someone other than Lebron be a playmaker. Other than old Kobe too of course. Someone who could do more than just spot up and make shots. That's what went wrong in Miami...

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:21 am »

na, they'll know pretty fast if LeBron and/or Melo have real interest.  Kupchak's already spoken about it..he said if they get word that it's a go, they're prepared.  and btw, LeBron is basically a PG..same with Kobe for much of his career.  both are a couple of primary ball handlers.  all you're looking for, if you have LeBron and Kobe, are a 2 or 3 guards that can swing over and defend the PG position on the defensive end..that'd be Meeks, Bazemore, a Toney Douglas type, and LeBron himself at times..basically what madawg said.

Kupchak said himself that they won't be signing guys just to sign them in an attempt to " improve any way we can "..he said they won't be using the cap space just because they have it..it has to make sense.  basically, they're not gonna go out and spend 10M a year on a Luol Deng just to still not win the title.  they still wanna be in position for the '15 and '16 free agent pools.  so, outside of LeBron and/or Melo, if it's not a Bledsoe then they'll likely be looking for cheaper talent that they think can fit and make sense for their situation.  a Darren Collison on a smaller deal would be the likely fit.

Fair enough.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 05:58:21 am »

I believe either way the Lakers will need a point guard. Not only to match up with opposing teams but to have someone other than Lebron be a playmaker. Other than old Kobe too of course. Someone who could do more than just spot up and make shots. That's what went wrong in Miami...

there were a number of things that went wrong in Miami, dude..it doesn't just boil down to their PG position.  for 1) they were in their 4th Finals in a row..that's a lot of basketball.  that's before considering that they were the oldest team in the league.  then there's the fact that San Antonio is just a really good team that should've beaten them last year as well.  there were a few other issues with Miami as well, but that's still neither here nor there..Marshall's pretty much proved that he's a capable playmaker if he's given the shooters on the outside. 

the point guard position's less important to winning titles when you have options in the post and Melo and Kobe would both be really good options in the post.  two of the better post options in the league..both being better post options than Bosh and Wade.

Fair enough.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »

I know we aren't just going to recklessly spend. But signing Ariza or perhaps Thomas to a bargain deal wouldn't be doing that. And that also happens to be worse case scenario for us this offseason. I have no problems with that. I think Lebron is pretty out of the question. Miami as well as Wade and Bosh have fallen in line to keep things going there. I'd throw the chips in for Melo at this point.

As far as Miami's troubles...obviously it didn't boil down to any one thing. But the point guard position was a major disappointment. With that said, he's beyond a longshot to come to the Lakers so it doesn't matter anyway.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:46:35 pm »

I know we aren't just going to recklessly spend. But signing Ariza or perhaps Thomas to a bargain deal wouldn't be doing that.

it all depends on what they wanna do with Nash.  if they wanna keep Nash for 1 more year and let him come off the books completely, that'd hurt their cap space in this year's free agency period, and in turn it would probably hurt their chances of luring Melo too because he's gonna wanna see a plan to add more pieces. 

for example; if they let Nash expire..LAL will only have a little over 22M in cap space and i'd assume that a Melo addition would take up at least 18-19M of that.  so that means no Ariza and then you'd be lookin at tryin to get a PG to come in and play for 3M..maybe SAC would let Thomas go @ the price of 3M since they have their eyes on pairing Rondo and Josh Smith, but Thomas might get a better offer than that from elsewhere. 

and Thomas himself isn't a good defender.  if he came in committed to pressuring the ball defensively, and shared the ball more offensively, he'd be a nice signing.  because if you're running a team with Kobe and Melo out on the court, you'd better have a PG that's committed to pressuring opposing PGs on the defensive end if you wanna win.  a tandem of Thomas and Marshall isn't likely to do that, so i think Darren Collison would be a better fit in that area and he's unrestricted and would likely play for the home team for 3M.  plus, Collison is adept at playing without the ball in his hands.  i like Thomas too and his potential to maybe get better in a better setting, so i wouldn't reject that addition.  now, let's say the cap line gets just half the bump it got this year and it's set at 65.7M for 2015-'16..next off-season they'd have about 5M in space to add another piece.

but if they decide to use the stretch provision on Nash, now you're talkin about having almost 29M in space for this free agency period and that means about 10M in space AFTER adding a Melo, so they could make a run at Ariza then.  i wouldn't offer Ariza more than 6M to start out.  that'd leave them 4M to offer a Thomas or Collison.  as for Ariza, Miami will be in the mix for him, so there's no guarantee that he joins LAL..no state tax in Florida and the Lakers shouldn't go out and overpay him because of that.  so instead of going for a tandem of Ariza and Thomas ( or Collison), maybe the Lakers would just offer Bledsoe a Steph Curry-like 4yr/44M deal and use that remaining space in that way instead.  would just have to hope that Sarver lets Bledsoe go..PHX did just draft Tyler Ennis and they already have Dragic starting of course.  if they got Melo and Bledsoe to go with Randle..that's a successful off-season.  or they could give Lowry 7-8M a year and have a little left over to spend..he's probably the best overall fit, but he's also 28 years old, so i wouldn't offer him more than 3yrs/24M.

Fair enough.
trevm37
Benchwarmer

Respect: +61

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:38:24 pm »

With Phoenix picking up Tyler Ennis, and refusing to trade him, gives us the opportunity to offer Eric Bledsoe a nice sized contract in hopes they let him walk. And there's really no reason to resign Marshal when they scooped up Clarkson with the 46th pick, which i think, could end up being the steal of the draft.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Jump to: