Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LAKERS OFF-SEASON: RIGHT NOW  (Read 24987 times)
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »

I agree 100%. I'm all for waving Nash at this point. It's clear we want to be competitive. We don't have a pick anyway so we need to swing for the fences. This is the offseason to snag a point guard as well if we are going to. Even if healthy Nash ain't giving us more than 20mpg with bad defense and decent playmaking. I'm good.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 01:04:00 am »

I agree 100%. I'm all for waving Nash at this point. It's clear we want to be competitive. We don't have a pick anyway so we need to swing for the fences. This is the offseason to snag a point guard as well if we are going to. Even if healthy Nash ain't giving us more than 20mpg with bad defense and decent playmaking. I'm good.

well, LAL does have a '15 1st rounder.  it's just Top 5 protected, so they have to suck big time to get it. 

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 01:29:15 am »

well, LAL does have a '15 1st rounder.  it's just Top 5 protected, so they have to suck big time to get it. 

Which is what I am hoping for.  If what I envision Kobe to be is true (similar to Jordan with the Wizards), the Lakers will be likely to be one of the 5 worst teams in the league next season.  It comes down to how the Lakers spend their cap space this off season.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:38 am »

Which is what I am hoping for.

yes, we know

Fair enough.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 08:23:08 am »

PHX has interest in Bazemore.  he's restricted as well.  LAL and PHX may be able to work out a sign/trade going both ways..Bazemore and whoever else for Bledsoe.  i do like Bazemore's game tho..damn.  maybe LAL gives Terrance Williams a camp invite and tries to recoup that way..he killed for the DFenders ala Gerald Green

Fair enough.
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 04:17:43 pm »

Yea and we couldn't even get that this year. No way we are worse than last season. And that's before we've done anything in free agency. That pick is gone. So we might as well be as competitive as possible.

I like Bazemore but if he ends up being costly I don't mind renting Xavier again or giving him a 3 year 6mil deal or so. 

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 05:44:48 pm »

Yea and we couldn't even get that this year. No way we are worse than last season. And that's before we've done anything in free agency. That pick is gone. So we might as well be as competitive as possible.

Not necessarily.  I know a lot of people did not think Mike D is a good coach, but I believe he had the Lakers overachieve last season.  I could definitely see the Lakers being worse this season.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »

I don't think it had as much to do with the coaching as it did the personnel we had... The product we put on the floor simply won't be as bad...

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:56 am »

I don't think it had as much to do with the coaching as it did the personnel we had... The product we put on the floor simply won't be as bad...

IMO the Lakers had the second or third worst roster in the league this past season.  The fact they had only the sixth worst recird makes me believe they overachieved.  If you could only look at the players that played heavy minutes for the Lakers last season and not know the team, coach, or record, wouldn't you think they would have had a bottom three record in the league?  They had the sixth worst record, and that was in the West.

They overachieved.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:06:02 am by madawg49 » Logged

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 10:43:52 pm »

That's your opinion. We didn't have a great roster sure but we didn't play to our strengths either. Even with D'Antoni's faulty approach Gasol had a very solid year. As did Jordan Hill who was limited to 20mpg... Three out of our best 5 or so guys were bigs and he never got them going.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:47 pm »

That's your opinion. We didn't have a great roster sure but we didn't play to our strengths either. Even with D'Antoni's faulty approach Gasol had a very solid year. As did Jordan Hill who was limited to 20mpg... Three out of our best 5 or so guys were bigs and he never got them going.

You might think Gasol played well if you just looked at his per game numbers.  He shot .522 TS% (he was at .606 during their two championship runs), he had the lowest Ortg of his career (102, he was at 123 during the two championship runs, including leading the league one year), and his defense was horrendous.

I agree about Jordan Hill.  Part of that had to do with health, though.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 12:36:30 am »

Its not whether or not he played great. He was our best player and he played well enough to run our team through. Had we done that I think we would've won a lot more games. And Gasol's numbers would've been better. Part of Gasol's drop in scoring efficiency was how many jumpshots he was taking. Him and Kaman would've done damage against quite a few teams had we been force feeding the post instead or running and gunning without run and gun personnel. Healthy or not Hill never got the minutes his play warranted. Same goes for Kaman.

t-mac357
Hall of Famer

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 12:46:42 am »

Also forgot about Paul Pierce. He'd be a perfect vet pickup at 5-7 million for 2 years.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:24 am »

Its not whether or not he played great. He was our best player and he played well enough to run our team through. Had we done that I think we would've won a lot more games. And Gasol's numbers would've been better. Part of Gasol's drop in scoring efficiency was how many jumpshots he was taking. Him and Kaman would've done damage against quite a few teams had we been force feeding the post instead or running and gunning without run and gun personnel. Healthy or not Hill never got the minutes his play warranted. Same goes for Kaman.

You have things backwards (not surprising).  Gasol is not the player he used to be.  He is not very good at scoring in the post and in the half court anymore.  He actually played better when the Lakers were running.

In his first 30 games this past season he put up 15.3 ppg in 30.4 mpg with a .491 TS% and a 97 Ortg.  In the second 30 games he played he put up 19.7 ppg in 32.5 mpg on .551 TS% and 107 Ortg.

If you use the Lakers signing Kendall Marshall as a divider (when they started running way more), the difference becomes even bigger, going from a .482 TS% to .547.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:00:08 am »

Just to highlight how much the pace changed after Marshall was signed. 

Before he was signed the Lakers had 6 games out of 25 (24%) where the pace was 100 or higher.  In the 54 games Marshall played for the Lakers, they had 27 such games (50%).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Jump to: