Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 3989 times)
Death2SmallBall
Star

« on: July 08, 2014, 12:34:57 am »

This stuff is really crazy. You all been following this?  Over the weekend violence.

So I've been reading up a bit and it's seems Chicago has always been a hotbed for gangs since the Capone days. So in the early 2000s they knock down several public housing sites displacing thousands of people. In turn people from rival gangs/enemies end up in the same neighborhoods. Prior to this the effectively cut some of the crime by locking up a lot of the gang leaders, but evidently it left the gangs splintered lacking leadership and structure. Overall now you have a lot of young people running around with parameters, parameters normally acknowledged among criminals exacerbated by extreme poverty. A powder keg that has already blown up it appears.

Anyone else privy to this correct me or elaborate please. Not to downplay anything, it's nothing short of a war zone out there. Yet I find it very compelling and interesting. More interesting nothing seems to be able to curb the problem.
Yuri Gagarin
Star

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:00:54 pm »

I was where those buildings were years ago on a visit. That two miles of projects was very intimidating.

The Interrupters was an interesting doc on chicago

The Interrupters (2011) - Official Trailer [HD]

People of Earth, we have come to blow your mind.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:26:33 pm »

While not specifically about this, there is some info in here that pertains to the current problems in Chicago and it's a really good read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Death2SmallBall
Star

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:13 am »

Thanks yuri/duck. Bout to read this now.
MJ
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:40:58 am »

In other news, I was in downtown Chicago for the crime of the century last weekend.  We stayed at the Marriot on Michigan Ave.  We were looking through Nordstroms and in the clearance shoe section I found a pair of Dolce and Gabbana flip-flops.  FLIP-FLOPS.  They were on sale for $157.45, marked down from $235.  If you want to understand the murder rates in Chicago, look no further than their clearance shoe racks.
Red_Dragon
MVP

Most Underrated 2012 - Global Moderator 2014

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:41 pm »

Funny to think I was in Chicago last week for work related purposes, it's really an amazing city but the violence and crime is a huge turnoff for tourists as well as local citizens.

tplay_break_ya_cunt
Journeyman

f.u.c.k i.s.l.a.m

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:59 pm »

but giving welfare to criminals solves problems
RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »

Not allowing citizens to carry guns really helps control crime and gun violence. It's a good thing the bad guys abide by the law.

knightofdreamz
Star

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »

but giving welfare to criminals solves problems

..... So like.... you understand most people commit crimes and join gangs because they have no other stable relationships and income right? I mean, wanna start comparing countries with low welfare and social services (yes, America at 30% is very low for social services) versus crime in countries with high welfare and social services? There is a constant and repeating factor you will find and it looks horrible for those who are against social services. Mixed with the history of the USA and other countries economies, we can say we know what works and what does not. And this mentality of "no welfare/low welfare" has NEVER worked.

In America, sadly, our welfare system is so poor that it barely even helps. The entire point of a safety net is to ensure people can stay on their feet. And if you are in these situations where you are getting 400 dollars a month to live, there are no jobs in the area because the state loves funneling funds to other areas and aspects of the city/state, and the average living cost is 1200 dollars, wtf do you think will continue to happen? Youre still missing 2/3rds of your monthly output, and no legit jobs in the area and you have to provide for your family some how.

knightofdreamz
Star

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »

Not allowing citizens to carry guns really helps control crime and gun violence. It's a good thing the bad guys abide by the law.

And yet the states with the most relaxed gun laws that promote this factually failed ideology, have the highest murder rates.
The state of Illinois is actually pretty relaxed on gun laws btw. They do have, and are required, to have concealed weapons laws. But whatever, the whole idea that a good guy with a gun is the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is based on people not having experiences with violence and firearms and basing this whole ideology on television shows and movies.
Its not a coincidence that the people who live in high violence and firearm murder area's generally ask for higher regulations, while the people who live in a city that has 1 murder a year, maybe, have to imagine fake scenario's to justify loosening gun laws. One is based in reality, the other is not, and this is a common theme among the right in this country. Sadly.

tplay_break_ya_cunt
Journeyman

f.u.c.k i.s.l.a.m

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:27 am »

And this mentality of "no welfare/low welfare" has NEVER worked.
I seem to be doing alright.
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »

Two of the biggest problems are the prison system and the lack of education in the state.

The prison system is obvious. Criminals go in and come out worse than when they went in. This is more of a problem across the country. This country needs to realize that the prison system is supposed to be less to punish the criminals and more to keep the public safe. If you have a system that brings people out worse than when they went in, then you're completely failing. The US needs to look at some of the countries with the best rehabilitation rates and see how they've done it. Countries like Norway actually treat criminals like they're still human. Their methods actually work.

As for education, this is a state that, especially in the inner city, doesn't teach it's citizens to fish, just will give them fish (for the record, I am not against welfare, the vast majority of people on welfare do work, but are just not paid reasonably, and very few people exploit the system, they're just the ones that the "liberal" media reports on). Teachers need to be given back their classrooms. A teacher can't punish a student anymore without fear of a lawsuit. Schools can't back their teachers up, the deck is stacked against them. On top of that, it needs to be more difficult to become a teacher, and teachers, in return, should be paid more. Of course, Illinois pulls the exact opposite move by electing Bruce Rauner, a man who wants to steal the pensions from all of the teachers and fire as many as he can. This is the exact opposite of what the state needs. There's some bad teachers out there, no doubt, but the (using this term again) vast majority of teachers are not bad and have the best intentions. The most valuable resource a society can have, for many reasons, is to be an educated society, and that's why it's so important to help lift up the teachers, and sure, make the existing ones take extra classes to meet the standard that needs to be set for new teachers. I could go into much more detail here, every time I visit my parents my mother, who is a teacher, has another story of some crazy BS going on because of parents who are nuts (and a much larger problem with the state's education system than the teachers are, due to the first part of what I said about this). Another thing I'll say is that schools need to update their teaching technology to get with today. Textbooks should almost be a specialty type of item for class. There's a lot of great educational Youtube channels right now that are free, there are video game companies that specialize in making educational games, and the open spaces can maybe be filled in by textbooks, but it should almost be the last line. There's surely (I haven't looked into it, but it would make sense) plenty of pay sites that probably have pretty much the video equivalent of textbooks. It's important for children to keep reading, but keep it more enjoyable rather than making them also read boring textbooks for 6 hours a week outside of school, then 6 hours a day in school.

Also, about the gun laws thing, remember that the Chicago city limits pretty much touch the Indiana border, a state with some of the most relaxed gun laws, and Wisconsin also has fairly relaxed gun laws and is less than an hour north of Chicago on the weekend. Having tough gun laws really doesn't do much when they're pretty much handing them out like Halloween candy somewhere just a few extra minutes away. I don't understand how nobody ever brings this up, it's something that seems like common sense to me.

Last thing I'll say about the city is that almost all of the murders are isolated into 3 main areas. Outside of those areas there are some murders, but no more, and probably less than you would get from any major city the size of those safer areas.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
jwmann2
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 11:17:41 pm »

Chicago is an awesome city. Most of that crime is gang related and those people don't go anywhere near the tourist spots. Watch "Candyman" and "Hardball". Those films were filmed in the thick of it all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: