Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hornets Media  (Read 15320 times)
Big Aristotle
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:44 pm »

FELTON IS BUYING INTO BROWN'S SYSTEM
Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton has bought into new coach Larry Brown's system and is taking his role as co-captain very seriously, according to HoopsWorld.

"I've had several meetings with Coach Brown," Felton told HOOPSWORLD. "There's been good meetings. There's been meetings of, 'I'm going to be very demanding of you Raymond. You're the captain. You're the leader of this team along with J-Rich (Jason Richardson) and Gerald (Wallace), so I'm demanding a lot from you. I'm expecting a lot from you. I'm expecting you to lead these guys.' So I'm putting all that on my shoulders. I'm looking forward to it."

There has been some speculation that rookie D.J. Augustin could challenge Felton for the team's starting job, but the incumbent doesn't appear worried.

"That means a lot," he said of Augustin. "You've got a kid coming off the bench when the team isn't going to lose a beat. He's a great player.

Attributed to RealGM:
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53968/20080812/felton_is_buying_into_browns_system/

“Wins overtake highlights. I’m about winning games, not making highlights.” - Lebron James
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:15 am »

Kyle Weaver has been traded to Oklahoma for New Jersey's 2009 2nd round pick

Big Aristotle
Benchwarmer

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:32:36 am »

Why The Tinsley-Felton Trade Won't Happen
Authored by Andrew Perna - February 11, 2009 - 8:18 pm

On Tuesday night, ESPN reported that the Pacers and Bobcats were engaged in "active" talks regarding a trade involving Jamaal Tinsley and Raymond Felton.

A collective sign of relief was heard around Indianapolis, but any such celebration should be put off until Tinsley is officially out of blue-and-gold. I highly doubt he's headed to Charlotte, unless the perimeters of the "proposed" deal are altered significantly.

According to ESPN, the two teams were talking about a deal that would have sent Tinsley, Jeff Foster and a third player (Brandon Rush or Stephen Graham) to the Bobcats in exchange for Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May.

Marquis Daniels' name has been whispered in rumors as well, but his contract includes a team option for next season, which I imagine the Pacers will definitely want to keep. This summer they'll decide whether to keep him long-term, or allow his salary to come off the books.

For what it's worth, the six-player deal would work under the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement in either case, whether Rush or Graham is involved.

However, that's probably as close as this deal will come to fruition because of more reasons that you can count on one hand.

First of all, head coach Jim O'Brien claimed on Tuesday night that he hadn't heard anything about a possible trade with Charlotte. "That's the first I've heard of that," O'Brien told NBA.com before Indiana's tight win over the Cavaliers.

Such a comment from a coach isn't a great indicator of whether or not a trade is imminent, but his comments were more indicative of something like "No comment" or "You guys know as much as I do."

With that said, Avery Johnson, then the coach of the Mavericks, told me in Boston last February that the team wasn't looking to make any moves. Just days later, Dallas sent Jason Kidd to New Jersey in a mega-deal.

Continuing with comments from the Pacers' organization regarding a trade of any kind, the ESPN report claimed that Indiana and Charlotte have been discussing the aforementioned trade "for weeks," but general manager David Morway told me at the beginning of the month that nothing serious was in the works.

"We aren't anxious to make a deal, but obviously we've gotta talk because we're not good enough and we certainly want to get better," Morway said before placing his confidence in the team's current roster.

"You've gotta give a team a chance to stabilize and play together," Morway added, which left me with a feeling that a major trade is unlikely prior to the Feb. 19 trade deadline.

Trading Tinsley isn't going to net the Pacers a season-changing player, and packaging guys like Foster and Rush along with the jettisoned point guard is highly unlikely.

As Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star wrote on Wednesday morning, the Pacers recently extended Foster's contract through the 2010-11 season. Foster was drafted by Golden State, but has only played for one team in his ten-year career. Prior to this season, the center indicated that despite the team's recent struggles, he'd love to retire as a member of the organization.

Trading Foster would also leave Indiana with only two established players over thirty, Maceo Baston (32) and Rasho Nesterovic (32), and neither has played as huge a role as Foster.

It also wouldn't make sense for a "rebuilding, but contenting" team to deal a player like Rush, who can be had for less than $3 million per season through the 2011-12 campaign. He has disappointed thus far, but he's only a little over halfway into his rookie season and has at least another 100 or so games to prove he was worth the thirteenth overall pick in last June's NBA Draft.

As badly as Morway and team president Larry Bird want to get rid of Tinsley, who they may be forced to buyout in the wake of a grievance filed by the NBA Players' Association, it wouldn't make sense for them to do so by getting rid of two players the front office likes, and by taking on Felton, Mohammed and May.

May is a modern-day version of Oliver Miller, without the range or at least history of moderate fitness. He's played in just 17 games this season for a whopping 14.5 minutes each appearance. Oh yeah, and there's the minor issue that he hasn't played since Dec. 11 as Charlotte waits for him to trim down.

Mohammed is a solid big man and is reliable, but with a ceiling that is rather low at the age of 31. He's only averaging 8.9 minutes in 35 games this season, but does look pretty desirable alongside May.

There's also the fact that Mohammed and May would be fighting for Foster's minutes. Neither, in my opinion, would be stepping into Indiana and taking time away from rookie Roy Hibbert, Rasho Nesterovic or Troy Murphy at the four and five spots.

Felton is a nice player, and someone that still possess potential, but what are the Pacers going to do with three points guard worthy of at least 25 minutes, or more, of action per game?

If they are going to take on someone like Felton, I'd imagine that they'd being dealing Jarrett Jack (assuming they like T.J. Ford better) at the same time.

The six-player swap simply doesn't seem to jive with what the Pacers are trying to do, which I assume is to contend for a playoff spot while also giving the current roster a chance to gel for a full season.

Now, let's take a look at the financial end of the "deal."

The outcome this season, obviously, would be relatively even thanks to the rules of the CBA, but the story slightly changes in the coming seasons.

Next season, Tinsley, Foster and Rush will make roughly $15 million combined. Meanwhile, the trio of Felton, Mohammed and May stand to make $15.5 million in 2009-10.

Why aren't their salaries set in stone?

Both Felton and May have qualifying offers for next season, meaning that the Pacers will have to pay them at least $9 million (combined) in 2009-10. If long-term deals are reached, as unlikely as that may seem in May's case, that number could increase by a few million.

For a team that's well under .500, that is still hovering above the NBA's "soft" salary cap, and isn't thriving financially, acquiring three players that could be more expensive than the three they are giving up doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In 2010-11, Tinsley and Foster's deals with be in their final years, and Rush will have team option. That's a cap number of around $16 million.

That same season, only Mohammed will still be playing with Indiana under the same contract, at a little less than $7 million. Assuming the Pacers sign Felton long-term, which is far from a lock, the combined salary of Mohammed and Felton would likely hover around $13-$16 million.

No matter how you look at it, the "proposed" Indiana-Charlotte trade doesn't seem like a step in the right direction for the Pacers.

It goes against what O'Brien and Morway have said recently, it would involve trading at least one player (either Foster or Rush) that the team values and doesn't appear willing to give up, and it wouldn't save the team a lot of money (if any at all) in the long-term.

With that said, the trade deadline wouldn't be as much fun if we couldn't envision how "proposed" deals would play out.

Andrew Perna is Deputy Editor of RealGM.com and co-host of RealGM’s Radio Show. Please feel free to contact him with comments or questions via e-mail: Andrew.Perna@RealGM.com

“Wins overtake highlights. I’m about winning games, not making highlights.” - Lebron James
Big Aristotle
Benchwarmer

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 08:35:04 am »

Bobcats Want To Keep Felton?

Feb 11, 2009 4:37 PM EST

Michael Jordan admitted in a conference call on Tuesday that the Bobcats aren't looking to trade guard Raymond Felton, but they won't hesitate if the right deal comes along.

"No decision has been made. A lot of (teams) have called about Raymond. Our intention is to try to maintain our relationship with Raymond," Jordan said. "I'm not saying we're searching for a trade. But if things happen, a deal that makes sense ... I don't want Raymond to think I'm trying to trade him or whatever. But we've had some conversations, based on teams coming to us about him.

"I'd like to think that Raymond is going to be here and we can come to an agreement over the summer about extending him. But I'm not going to say 100 percent that it's going to happen.

"Right now, if you ask me where Raymond is going to be, I'm looking to extend Raymond at the end of the season."

Big Aristotle
Benchwarmer

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 08:37:42 am »

Jordan Admits Mistakes, Hopeful For Future
More Bobcats News

Feb 11, 2009 8:32 AM EST

In a rare conference call on Tuesday, Bobcats executive Michael Jordan owned up to his mistakes, but indicated that he remains hopeful for the future.

"I think we've grown from it. I've grown from it and hopefully down the road when you make a choice, you try to make a better choice," Jordan said.

"People are going to point out the mistakes. Very rarely do they point out the successes. I understand that. It's part of the game."

Charlotte recently traded Adam Morrison, Jordan's first draft selection, to the Lakers.

"Coming off an injury last year, he seemed to have lost his confidence a little bit," Jordan said. "He didn't have the understanding of how [coach] Larry [Brown] expected him to play both offensively and defensively. And I felt like something needed to happen for Adam as well as the organization."

chellis
MVP

Respect: +114

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »

Gerald Wallace was recently named the East Player of the Week.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace is the NBA's Eastern Conference player of the week.
Wallace averaged 25.3 points and 13.7 rebounds in three victories that extended the Bobcats' winning streak to four games.

He had 31 points and 13 rebounds against Toronto on Wednesday. Wallace then outplayed LeBron James two nights later, finishing with 31 points and 14 rebounds to become the first player in franchise history to have consecutive game with at least 30 points and 10 rebounds.

Wallace finished the week with 14 points and 14 rebounds against Washington Saturday as Charlotte won on the road for the first time in eight tries.

The announcement Monday marked the fifth time Wallace has won the award.

chellis
MVP

Respect: +114

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:00 pm »

I've never been a big Lex supporter. I think the D-League is where he needs to be if he ever wants to improve.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Charlotte Bobcats have sent center Alexis Ajinca to Maine of the NBA Development League.
The 7-foot Ajinca has failed to earn a spot in coach Larry Brown's rotation, and Brown wanted the 2008 first-round pick to get some playing time.

Ajinca has appeared in only six of 16 games for a total of 30 minutes and is averaging 1.7 points and 0.7 rebounds. Ajinca is expected to make his debut with the Red Claws on Friday.

The move Monday leaves the Bobcats with 13 players on their active roster.

Charlotte has won four straight games and hosts Boston Tuesday.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: