Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trade DeRozan?  (Read 7736 times)
Death2SmallBall
Star

Respect: +787

« on: December 29, 2014, 12:43:18 am »

Raps fans correct me please, but this situation reminds me a bit of the Rudy Gay/Memphis situation...in that their volume scorer got hurt and that team kept rolling.  They may have better without Gay, this seems to be what's going on Toronto with DeRozan. 

Not taking anything away from DeRozan, I think he's a great player and really had a great stretch towards the tail end of last regular season.  IT JUST SEEMS THEY DON'T NEED HIM.  Do they need his points? not really.  Do they needs his shots? not really.  Lou Williams is doing this for much cheaper, who raps can probably bring back much cheaper as well.  Then raps gotta pay Jonas at some point in time as well. 

So why not trade him to bolster any deficiencies?  I imagine DeRozan could fetch a really good player of two.  Or set them up to be major free agent players as well. 

Juby
Undrafted

Monkey arms (6'4 wingspan, barely 5'10, yup)

Respect: +4

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:25:21 am »

I was thinking the same thing too but I'm not so sure.
The sample size is pretty small and a lot less damning.
Chemistry is a concern (especially if we traded for multiple guys again, we may have gotten lucky with our Gay haul).
While getting replacements will also mitigate this, we know that with Derozan, were a good team and we can romp with an injury.
It also sometimes helps to be accustomed to winning (should Chicago have traded Rose considering how well they played without him...maybe).

I'd say nay, but if he comes back and we start losing, maybe.

Nepeta Cataria counseling me recently:
go to the top of a tall building you know and throw yourself off
epi_Rapz
Undrafted

Respect: +2

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »

Don't let the Raptors having a favourable schedule in the month of December cloud your vision of the Raptors actually being better without DeRozan. John Schuhmann posted these stats of Toronto today:

With DeRozan - Record: 13-3
                       Pace: 96.7, ranked 8th;
                       OffRtg: 110.7, ranked 2nd;
                       DefRtg: 100.9, ranked 9th

W/out DeRozan - Record: 11-4
                         Pace: 94.2, ranked 24th;
                         OffRtg: 114.0, ranked 1st;
                         DefRtg: 107.4, ranked 25th

In reality the Raptors aren't doing better without DeRozan, they are at best doing the same, if not worse when you consider how bad the they've dropped in defense. What we got after Rudy was traded was 4 guys from Sacramento who made our bench better and it allowed our starters to thrive on offense because we still HAD DeRozan and Lowry and Ross, etc, who bring different skill sets to the court. Without DeRozan, we see clear deficiencies in our ability to get to the line because Ross is focused on 3s.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Raptors were in first place without DeRozan and they still are, trading DeMar is not necessary.
PaintinDaTownRed
Benchwarmer

Respect: +3

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:00:39 am »

Nahh, I think it would upset the chemistry of this team. Plus the two situations arent really comparable, as you've said Gay was a volume shooter and Memphis' offense seemed to start and end with him being a blackhole on most nights. Losing Gay made Memphis a better team because their offense all of a sudden got a lot more fluid. Not the case with DeRozan, he is more efficient offensively, and oddly enough the team is a better defensive unit with him in the line up as well.
I do think there are some holes to be plugged, particularly in the front court, but if Masai keeps Lou Williams through free agency, then i'd rather part with a piece like Ross for depth at the C, and chase a PF in free agency.

17Medcoy
Journeyman

Respect: +6

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:18:53 pm »

That would be disastrous for chemistry.  Sure the team is holding there own.  But all it takes is an injury to Kyle to screw this team.  Besides the point guards and Lou the only guy that can consistently get his shots off the dribble are dd and Ross to a certain extent and even then, ross' handle or ability is questionable.  Nah to the trade.  Anyway we're waiting on Bruno.  A trade is gonna happen eventually to give him time to play.  Y rush it when the team is rolling
Death2SmallBall
Star

Respect: +787

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:49:02 pm »

thanks for the inputs, I completely didnt take into account how often DeRozan got to the line, that'll be big for the playoff push.  Then when we look at how he was playing last season he's actually a bargain. 
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »

for Kevin Durant next off-season
northpass523
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:22:35 pm »

Derozan is a great fit for the Raptors, and they need his shot creating and individual scoring when things get stagnant on offense. With that being said, he shouldn't be untouchable. I just don't think its worth pursuing a trade right now. He's better than what they're going to get back at this point.

Ty Cobb
 *Link Removed*
Lithuania_HD
Starter

Respect: +161

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »

Exactly for what his worth DeRozan is fine. They need to upgrade 3, Ross has been nothing but disappointing, no improvement on offensive side and even regressed defensively.

Sanjay Marjara
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:12:38 pm »

Trade him. The only thing he's providing is star power, although he was injured and not an all star this year. He's not even averaging 20 points per game, and that too on inefficient shooting (barely 40% from the field). He gets to the line but he's not rebounding well his position, and his assist numbers aren't exactly outstanding. You can't say he's an elite defender either. Better of trading him for draft picks and more help in the front court. Instead allow Ross to start at his natural position.
Yuri Gagarin
Star

Respect: +169

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »

I agree with you Sanjay.

Is this team ever going to win consistently when DD takes more shots than anyone else while shooting 39%? I dont think so.

People of Earth, we have come to blow your mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: