Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which NFL team is most likely to move to L.A.?  (Voting closed: January 21, 2007, 11:07:15 pm)
San Diego Chargers - 4 (44.4%)
New Orleans Saints - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL team in L.A.  (Read 6864 times)
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« on: July 25, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »

When will Paul Tagliabue or his successor stop talking about a team playing in L.A. and actually do something either than just stall the process. It's been over twelve years and Los Angeles is the second largest TV market in the country. The only progress they've made so far is limiting the number of sites to TWO!!! While most people would say that's some progress we had to sit  back and watch in 1999 when we were supposed to get the new expansion team but due to a cheap skate group of L.A. investors were outbid by Houston. Now the NFL has decided it has to do everything in its power to keep teams like the New Orleans Saints and others in their cities. Funny, I don't remember a whole lot being done about the league letting the Raiders and Rams leave in the same off-season. If the league wants to try and keep teams in their current cities and doesn't want to expand then who is supposed to play in L.A.?

Somebody really needs to investigate how many deposits were made into the bank accounts of the referees during the 2006 NBA Finals .... and being a Laker fan I didn't have much reason to root against an organization that's comprised of former Lakers.
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:06:03 am »

Yeah, it's the second largest market in America, but how many people in the area actually care about football.  When the teams moved all those years ago, I don't remember being all that much of an outrage about it.  People there care about the Laker (and I guess the Clippers now) because they win on a consistent basis, but when the Rams and the Raiders left they weren't winning and no one seemed to care that they were gone.  So at this point there really shouldn't be a team in Los Angeles (obviously there are fans there that miss football but certainly there aren't enough).

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:38:06 am »

I doubt either team, or any team, will move to LA. Not in the next 5 years at least. If I had to choose, I'd say the Chargers would be a more likely choice.
kobeaki
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:08:04 am »

how bout the niners get their heads out of their a s s e s and get a real team, conversely why is san fran never on tv in la anymore? I dont give a f u c k about kansas city or the jets(with all due respect) or really the nfl for that matter, just a poor substitute till the nba starts.
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:52:25 pm »

I highly doubt that in 13 million fans (L.A. and Orange County) knowone will care about a football team. People can go on about how the Rams and Raiders didn't get much attendance but the fact of the matter is that they were both terrible teams. It's insane that people should have to waste hundreds and thousands of dollars on football tickets to watch their team lose every game. That's not loyalty. That simply encourages terrible teams to stay awful because they know fans will always go to the games. Look at the Detroit Lions.

Somebody really needs to investigate how many deposits were made into the bank accounts of the referees during the 2006 NBA Finals .... and being a Laker fan I didn't have much reason to root against an organization that's comprised of former Lakers.
steve
MVP

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:49:18 pm »

The Detriot Lions have some of the worst attendence figures in the league.  Teams that have high attendence numbers usually cause their owners to make strong moves and try to build a winning team.  Teams like the Packers and the Redskins constantly sell out their games and it doesn't stop their owners from spending to get better players (or in the Packers case their President and GM).  Loyalty in sports is supporting your team even when they're not doing well, otherwise what good is it to root for them when they're just winning, how satisfying is that?

Dynasty
MVP

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:14:10 pm »

Quote from: "steve"
The Detriot Lions have some of the worst attendence figures in the league.  Teams that have high attendence numbers usually cause their owners to make strong moves and try to build a winning team.  Teams like the Packers and the Redskins constantly sell out their games and it doesn't stop their owners from spending to get better players (or in the Packers case their President and GM).  Loyalty in sports is supporting your team even when they're not doing well, otherwise what good is it to root for them when they're just winning, how satisfying is that?

Detroit is one of the oldest franchises in all of football and has one of the best facilities in the league that just hosted the superbowl.  If any team is going to go to LA, it is the Chargers.  They've been granted the freedom to move if they can't find a new stadium within the next year.
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:56:19 pm »

steve, rooting for your team doesn't mean going in debt to buy overpriced tickets while management does nothing to improve the team. Fan support is not just shown by ticket sales. Teams that do absolutely nothing to improve themselves don't deserve to turn a profit because they're simply cheating us the fans who pay their overpriced salaries. As for your implications that I am a bandwagon jumper I have only to say that you are wrong. I was there to support the Lakers when they finished dead last a year ago and will be there to support them for the rest of my life. I still root for the Raiders and Rams even though they no longer play in Los Angeles. And for the record the Detroit Lions do not have bad attendance they fill in over 94 percent of their seats but due a lack of seats available in the stadium are ultimately ranked lower (28th). Look it up on ESPN.com and stop giving me wrong statistics.

steve
MVP

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 11:04:12 pm »

I was accurate when I said they have some of the lowest attendence records, and the majority of the teams in the NFL do sell out every game (and didn't Detroit have a blackout problem in their city the last couple of years because they weren't able to sell out games).  I never gave a specific number.  Also I never accused you of jumping on the bandwagon, we just differing opinions on what loyalty is it seems.  And I should've been more clear on the supporting your team concept.  The thing is people in LA weren't going to the games regardless and really there shouldn't be a team there.

kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:33:39 pm »

steve, you were not accurate, did you not just read my previous post? LOOK IT UP!!! ESPN.com Look up nfl attendance. Anybody who thinks the L.A. area does not deserve a team is nothing more than a smug elitist who simply looks down on other regions of the country either with stereotypes or pure arrogance.

steve
MVP

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:38:17 pm »

Or the fact that they let two teams leave their city without much of a fuss.  Okay, Detroit is about middle of the pack in their percentage of the stadium they fill up but their still ranked 28th in overall attendence (which you even listed) and last time I checked their are only 32 teams in the league.

superconductor
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:22:22 am »

I find it interesting that some people attack other people for simply not agreeing with their position. Here is another example.

Steve makes some rational non personal type comments and kobeshowtime24 ends up calling him a 'smug elitist'. It is much better to state that you disagree with a person, not flame the person. Keeps everything civil.

Cheers

...fools rush in, where fools have been before...
kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 03:16:07 am »

steve, as I said, the Lions are ranked 28th in the league because they have a lesser amount of seats in their stadium, not because fans don't come to the games.

kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 03:17:50 am »

Why doesn't superconductor join the peace corps if he has such a problem with blogging.

kobeshowtime24
Journeyman

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 03:37:22 am »

And I'm not attacking his position either. I simply said that people who believe cities like L.A. don't deserve football teams show their elitism just by their opinion and state of mind. I started this poll to get people's opinion about who they think would move to L.A., if any team. I did not ask for skeptiscism and smugness. In the future it wouldn't hurt to research things before you spout crap.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: